Miramar, FL – On October 17, 2018, the Jamaica Senior Women’s National team (JWNT), aka “Reggae Girlz”, made history by becoming the first Caribbean country to qualify for a FIFA Women’s World Cup. The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup is scheduled for June 1 – July 1, 2019 in France. The Reggae Girlz will take on Brazil on June 9th, Italy on June 14th, and Australia on June 18th during the Group Stages.
The JWNT will begin their 2019 World Cup Send-Off Tour with a game in Jamaica against Panama on May 19th. We are pleased to announce the Reggae Girlz Foundation (RGF), City of Miramar, and the Vice Mayor Alexandra Davis will be hosting the Reggae Girlz on the second stop before they depart for Europe, with a week of celebration activities from May 20-24, 2019.
The following list of fundraising and celebration activities have been planned under the patronage of the Consul General Oliver Mair, and the Jamaica Tourist Board, and under the mandate of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) (not all inclusive):
- May 20, 2019– City of Miramar Welcome – at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport that will be open to the public.
- May 21, 2019– City of Miramar Sports Summit – hosted by Vice Mayor Alexandra Davis
- May 22, 2019 – Pep Rally- hosted by County Line Chiropractic, Countyline Road location. 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- May 22, 2019– VIP Fundraising Reception Cocktail – hosted by Consul General Oliver Mair, Vice Mayor Davis and Cedella Marley (Global Ambassador for Jamaica Football).
- May 23, 2019– Reggae Girlz 2019 World Cup Send-Off Fun-Day Celebration – hosted by the Reggae Girlz Foundation, City of Miramar and Vice Mayor Alexandra Davis. A fun-filled evening of food, drinks and music, featuring a double header football match (additional details to be announced pending approvals).
The Reggae Girlz Foundation, the City of Miramar, and Vice Mayor Davis is inviting everyone in the community to come out and join in this week of celebration to commemorate the Reggae Girlz historic achievement and to send them off to France knowing they have the support of South Florida and the City of Miramar.